About Me

My photo
My real name is Charlie Albright. I am the pinnacle of evil who God has flooded with His mercy. Declaring my sinful self righteous and holy in His sight! Lavishing His grace upon me by the blood Jesus shed on the cross! Carrying me through this life and giving me satiatfing joy! Anything good about me is only because of His grace!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Aseity and Grace

The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. (Acts 17:24-25)


God’s aseity, it is the doctrine that God is completely sufficient in and of Himself. He does not need anything. He does not need our works or worship to make Him complete.

Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you;
your burnt offerings are continually before me.
I will not accept a bull from your house
or goats from your folds.
For every beast of the forest is mine,
the cattle on a thousand hills.
I know all the birds of the hills,
and all that moves in the field is mine.
“If I were hungry, I would not tell you,
for the world and its fullness are mine. (Ps. 50:8-12)

“But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able thus to offer willingly? For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you. (1 Chr. 29:14)

For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it? (1 Cor 4:7)

John answered, “A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven. (John 3:27)

As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: (1 Peter 4:10)


The Almighty Lord is not one that is dependent on man to supply His needs. He would suffer no loss if He let each one of us cease to exist. He would continue to be as fully God and satisfied as He is while we are alive. He does not need our worship, our relationship with Him, our services, our existence, anything! For everything that we can give to Him is supplied by Him. God just receives what He Himself has given to us.

He is God, and completely sufficient in and of Himself. And thus God speaks about Jesus, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made." (John 1:1-3)

But should it not be mind blowing that only eleven verses later this is written about this God,

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. ( John bore witness about him, and cried out, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me ranks before me, because he was before me.’”) And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father's side, he has made him known. (John 1:14-18)


The Lord who needed nothing, stepped down into humanity to lavish grace upon grace to us! This is not some expedient business deal from God where He comes to give to humanity in hopes that He will receive something in return. For He needs nothing! This is just total grace! Unmerited, undeserved, against all rational, grace!

And such is the nature of God’s grace. It is not part of some epic transaction where God gives in hopes to find satisfaction. God grace is the over flow of His already sufficient fullness toward those who do not deserve it.