About Me

My photo
My real name is Charlie Albright. I am the pinnacle of evil who God has flooded with His mercy. Declaring my sinful self righteous and holy in His sight! Lavishing His grace upon me by the blood Jesus shed on the cross! Carrying me through this life and giving me satiatfing joy! Anything good about me is only because of His grace!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Devoted to the service of His Temple


I have just finished the book, Devoted to the service of the Temple: Piety, Persecution, and the Ministry in the Writings of Hercules Collins. Edited by Michael A. G. Haykins and Steve Weaver. I found great encouragement in this little book. Most of it is the writings of the Baptist Minister Hercules Collins with a brief overview of his life at the beginning of the book.

Hercules Collins was a Calvinistic Baptist Minister in England, from 1675 to His death in 1702. This was a very turbulent time in the country. Protestants were put in jail or put to death for their beliefs.

In the mist of this, Hercules Collins was one of those who were thrown in jail. What a testimony is given by the man who stilled poured his heart out to his flock while being in bondage. Many of the writings in this book are from things he wrote while in prison. His faith was steadfast at this time saying with out doubt, "God is as good in prison as out." (page. 52) We can all learn from a man who willing suffers for the cause of Christ and who's trust is firm in God's sovereignty.

And [I] doubt not but God and his interest are served by my confinement as by my liberty, and am not without hopes that I shall preach as loudly and as effectually by imprisonment for Christ as ever I did at liberty, [and] that all those who observe God's providential dealings, will be able to say with me hereafter, as holy Paul once said in his bonds at Rome, what hath befallen me, hath tended to "the furtherance of the gospel." (page 35-36)



This book was a great encouragement to my faith. To read the writings of a faithful, Bible saturated, preacher who stood firm in the misted of trial and persecution is a blessing amongst the greatest.